Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Decision: Part Deux


Rumor Mill
I heard a rumor that Coach Whiz started this quarterback controversy because he was angling to get his own hour on ESPN to annouce his decision.  It's looking like his agent isn't doing as good a job as Maverick Carter, because I heard the best offer he got was a 15 minute segment on Good Morning Arizona.  Now he wants to scrap the whole thing and pretend it never happened, but Matt went out to the reporters after practice and ran his mouth so now Whiz is in quite the pickle.

Seriously though, if you didn't see this is what Matt said today after practice. 
"I feel like I've outplayed the competition, training camp, preseason," he said. "I think my plays speaks about that. For me, this goes beyond the football field.
"The philosophy is you want the best 11 guys to play. I feel like I've proved that with my performance. I don't really know what else I could possibly do, so it probably goes beyond football. For me, I just really want an explanation and I haven't been given one."

Now the Birdgang is a family, and you don't go out and say that to the media about your family.  You can walk right up to a member of your family and say that and spit in their face, but you don't bring that stuff outside the family. 
 
After practice he should've walked right up to Whiz and said that to him and not to the reporters.  If Whiz was testing how Matt would react to the switch, that reaction wouldn't look good on the test.  Kent Somers tweeted that Matt did go talk to Whiz this afternoon, so that is good news for him.  He finally manned up and went and spoke to him face to face.  I would've paid a lot of money to be a fly on the wall in that room. 
 
What Now
So what is Whiz going to do?  He has two quarterbacks that played well so far, and he has two rookies that we should keep because they have played damn good too.  Even with Matt's outburst to the media today, I'm still in the Leinart camp for now.  At least that showed some passion, and he was in a tough spot. If Whiz does go with DA I'm not going to argue with it.  DA has looked like a good quarterback.  A little inconsistent at times, but it is his first year in the offense.  I just think we need to see what Matt has in him as a starter.  We spent a first round pick on this kid, and he was one of the best college quarterbacks I have ever seen.  I bow to Whiz though. He has never had a losing season with the Cardinals, so he knows what he's doing and whatever decision he makes I'll support it.  He may have seen all he needs to see from Matt, but then I wonder why he didn't make the trade for McNabb if he knew enough about Matt.
 
Possible Reasons For "The Decision"
I want to take a minute to speculate on some of the possible reasons Whiz could end up choosing DA over Leinart that is on the football field, and not beyond the football field like the cocky kid says.  
 
Whiz calls all of the plays.  He knows exactly what Leinart should be doing on every play.  He knows the progressions he should be going through.  Leinart could be reading his progressions wrong.  Leinart has been careful with the football and as efficient as you could ask him to be, but he has only made short throws.  I don't go back and watch the tape from different angles and see what receiver downfield Matt could've missed.  I don't have the time or the resources to do that, but Whiz does and that's how you get a true evaluation.  

Maybe Matt really does have a softer arm like so many critics say.  If that is true, than as long as he is efficient and completes passes they would be fine.  Tom Brady dinked and dunked his way to 3 Super Bowl rings.  The problem becomes he can't make the outside throw, and Larry Fitzgerald lives on the outside.  We don't want to have Larry crossing over the middle of the field getting hurt like he did in the first game.  Anquan got hurt for the playoffs last year doing the same damn thing for Matt, and if that play and those two injuries are a result of Matt not having enough arm strength to go outside than I would start Anderson too and I'd probably cut or trade Matt based on the rookies play.  I know they say receivers are paid to go over the middle, but you have to be smart and protect Larry "The Legend" from unneccessary harm.  He is the best damn wide receiver in the game right now, and I don't want to see him on the sidelines with those huge diamonds on his ears.  He needs to be in his game day diamonds, and not his track suit diamonds.

I don't know what Whiz is thinking, but once he makes up his mind and goes on Good Morning Arizona to tell Tara Hitchcock his decision I will fully support it.  We are back to back NFC West Champions for the first time in ever, and he even took us to the Super Bowl.  I think he could start Max Hall and build a good enough gameplan to win a 3rd division, but Hall is going to have to wait awhile for his shot, unless something crazy happens.

In Whisenhunt We Trust,
Ozzy    

No comments:

Post a Comment